The list of top ten marketable courses in Nigeria is not based on real survey but its based on major observation of people in the work industry who have studied the courses in the past and how they were able to escape being unemployed.
Note In other words, we are talking in-respect of potentials and their employment opportunities not how much the person is paid monthly.
Here we present you with the list from the lowest to the highest:
10. Mass Communication/Journalism:
Mass Communication is marketable because not all universities offer it, but almost all institution need it. Journalism is not seen as exclusive preserve of MassComm graduates, as graduates of almost any course are recruited by news outfits. Yet, the course still stands a decent chance.
9. Law: Maybe the supply is fast outstripping demand and affecting pricing, Law has declined in economic value. However, it remains a Top 10 course. Whether you decide to practice or go into corporate world, or you decide to go into allied things like real estate agency, you still stand a decent chance of earning decent income with a Law degree.
8. Nursing/Laboratory Science : Nurses don’t earn mouth-watering pay, but they are hardly jobless. I see Nurses change jobs like clothes. Hospitals and clinics – private and public – are springing up everyday, and a medium size clinic needs at least 4 Nurses. Some may have as much as 20. Same goes with Lab scientists, although in lower demand.
7. Mechanical, Electrical & other related Engineering courses: Engineering courses generally sell in the oil and gas industry. In addition these courses are also asked for in other major industries.
6. Economics/Accounting/Finance: The good thing about Economics is that it fits into many roles. I hesitated to include Accounting here because Accounting degree alone without professional qualifications is not usually so helpful; however, I included it because I expect the accounting graduate to do the needful of writing professional examinations after his degree. Even without professional qualifications, you can still get a decent job with Accounting degree only in the many small to medium scale firms that require the services of accounting graduates. Finance is another great course. The three courses, sometimes alongside Management and Business Administration, are usually in hot demand, although supply still exceed demand and many graduates of these courses are still jobless.
5. Computer Science/Computer Engineering/IT courses: IT professionals are in hot demand the world over. Nigeria is not different. With special IT skills, your chance is even brighter. The downside is, anybody can learn IT skills, even if he doesn’t study computer engineering.
4. Geology: It is also a course that places you in good position to penetrate the much-sought-after oil industry.
3. Chemical/Petroleum Engineering : These courses have the potential to fetch you the fattest pay check after graduation because the companies that ask for them are those that pay heavily – the oil companies.
2. Estate Management/Architecture/Building/Survey/Civil Engineering: A degree in any of these courses places you in a good position for self-employment. Even from school, Architecture students make money drawing plans for people. We consider these courses the second most marketable courses in Nigeria.
1. Medicine: Medicine may not earn you N500k per month at entry level, but it is the course that guarantees you job the most. I have never come across a jobless medical doctor. and you are guaranteed of better-than-average income as a doctor.
Medicine is number 1 on our list.
Important: If you know your profession is marketable and its not in the top 10 most marketable courses in Nigeria, kindly add it in the comment box and give reasons why to show that its a marketable course in other to serve as a guide to others who would love to go for the profession.
We hope this helps as you get yourself prepared for Admission!!