Admission Guidelines:The most questions, we receive daily are always related to admission lists.
Questions such as:
• How many admission list would this University Release?
• When is this admission list coming out?
• How many candidates can this University admit?
• How do I know if I would be admitted?
• What names are in the first/second choice admission lists?
And many others….
Let’s go over these questions one after the other,
1. HOW MANY BATCHES ADMISSION LIST DOES A UNIVERSITY RELEASE: Ideally, Every Institution is expected to release four(4) different batches of admission list, as detailed below:
• The First Batch: Also known as the first merit admission list, consists of the names of candidates who selected the institution as their First choice institution, during the JAMB UTME registration, and also beat the stipulated cut-off marks by the Institution in question.
Such candidates can find their names on the JAMB official website sometimes, before it is uploaded by the Institution.
• The Second Batch: Also known as the Second merit admission list, consists of the names of candidates who selected the institution as their First choice institution, during the JAMB UTME registration, and also beat the stipulated cut-off marks by the Institution in question.
Such candidates can also find their names on the JAMB official website sometimes, before it is uploaded by the Institution.
• The Supplementary Admission List: This is also merit list, which comes after the first and second admission lists, but in contrast to the above lists, this contains the names of candidates who did not meet the cut-off marks for their selected courses, and hence, opt for a new course with a lower cut-off, which they meet.
The Merit list, bears 70% of the total number of admitted persons per session, as detailed by JAMB.
Sometimes, this list is also merged with the Unmerit list, whose details appear below.
• The Unmerit List: This list consists of candidates who did not meet the cut-off of the course they are admitted for(non-merit) but exceed the general admission cut-off mark(so in some way, merit).
This list is where lists such as the VC list, professors, staffs, Traditional rulers, Governors, senators and other high profile Individual quotas are contained.
It might be also interest you to note that, Sometimes, the first and second batches are combined as one, making only 3 list like in the case of OAU ile-ife.
Some other institution combines the supplementary with the Non-merit list, releasing it as one list.
An institution like UNN, covenant, UNIZIK, UNIBEN and many others, would continue releasing list until matriculation is done.
2. WHEN IS THE ADMISSION LIST COMING OUT:
In regards to this, its not in our capacity, to tell when a list is going to be released. Only the Institution and JAMB has the right to release a list, when they please.
3. HOW MANY CANDIDATES CAN A UNIVERSITY ADMIT PER COURSE?
The number of candidates taken in by a University in a particular programme/course of study is determine by the combined bodies responsible for the accreditation of such programmes.
The National Universities Commission(NUC) though have the overall control over the Number of candidates admitted in a course.
However, in courses like Medicine, Nursing, Dentistry and other related programmes, the Medical And Dental Council of Nigeria(MDCN) are responsible for the accredition of programmes therein and the Number of candidates to be admitted.
This is also affected by the Number and Qualities of Facilities owned by the Institution.
That is, an institution with a large working equipments, would admit more persons over a smaller sized institution.
In general, the average carrying capacity of most Nigerian Institutions is about 100 students per course. Art courses do have a capacity of about 150 persons per course, since they do not involve much practicals, if any.
4. HOW DO I KNOW IF I WOULD BE ADMITTED:
If You pass the Cut-off mark of your